New Subject Leaders Of Secondary Computing
Time & Location
About the Event
Moving into curriculum leadership can feel like be a big step. Whether you are new to the role, or looking to progress in the future, this course will build confidence and clarity allowing you to succeed. Written by experienced department leaders, and based in the most recent evidence of 'what works', you'll come away with a clear plan and the tools to make it happen.Who is it for?
New and aspiring curriculum leaders of computing in secondary schools.Course topics:
- 01 | You and your department - Understand aspects of your role, and how these may differ between schools. Develop a positive and viable vision for the computing department. Plan how to engage the teaching team and other stakeholders with the vision
- 02 | Developing the capability of the teaching team - Be able to accurately evaluate the skills and knowledge of the teaching team. Plan to effectively support individuals to improve their computing teaching capability.
- 03 | A successful curriculum - Consider the intent of computing curriculum design and implementation. Improve knowledge of qualification routes in computing and associated subjects. Plan how to promote computing careers and further study and generate a shared passion for the subject among teachers and students.
- 04 | Strategy to implement the vision; how will you know what has worked? - Understand what a successful computing department looks like. Learn effective techniques for evaluating the impact of teaching and learning in the computing department. Plan evidence-based development plans and targets for the computing department that align with individual, and whole-school, priorities.
- 05 | Impact on students; how the team uses data - Consider the range of data that can be drawn upon or generated to inform improvement in the computing department. Recognise the roles of teachers and middle leaders in regards to strategic use of data. Plan interventions that are effective and efficient in terms of teacher workload.
- 06 | Leadership and management - Recognise and develop aspects of leadership and management skill in relation to curriculum leaders. Plan how to work effectively with line managers and school leaders and to evidence improvement efforts. Be prepared to hold challenging conversations with colleagues.
This course is delivered as part of the National Centre for Computing Education.Outcomes Participants will:
- Improve their understanding of the role of a computing subject leader
- Adopt evidence-based practise to improve effectiveness and manage workload
- Develop a vision and lead the development of the department, confidently engaging with school leaders and inspectors
- Understand the capability of the teaching team and how to help individual teachers to develop, utilising a range of support
- Be confident in establishing the curriculum intent and monitoring its implementation and impact