The Internet And Cyber Security Computing CPD (Over Two Days) - Remote
Time & Location
About the Event
4 Oct 21
Remote Delivered CPD
This course still has availability, book nowSummary
The internet has transformed modern life bringing rich capability to networked computers. Find out how the internet works and how it has produced many new threats, resulting in the rapidly growing cybersecurity industry.
You will build on knowledge of local computer networks to cover the globally connected systems forming the internet. Learn how protocols are used to transfer data across the internet and how each of the layers within the TCP/IP stack functions.
You’ll also develop your knowledge of computer security including measures to guard against a range of threats, both technical and behavioural. Learn about vulnerabilities – where they come from, how they are exploited, and what can be done about them; knowledge which helps inform your students and make them safer online citizens.
Mapped closely to the specifications of GCSE computer science, the course will provide you with deepened knowledge and confidence that your students are equipped for their exams.
Book now and you will be automatically registered for the scheduled sessions for the course. Remote CPD courses have live, facilitator-led sessions and are not available for instant access. Please refer to the schedule of dates published for each course instance.Who is it for?
This course is for current or prospective teachers of computer science with some understanding of computer science principles.Prior Knowledge:
You’ll need to know about the basic components and topologies of a computer network and the protocols used to share data across them. We recommend the course: Fundamentals of computer networks. If you are entirely new to computer science, we recommend first participating in our one-day course: An introduction to computer systems, networking and security in GCSE computer science.What does it cost?
This course is fully funded for participants from maintained schools in England. If you are from an independent school or from an organisation outside England, then the course fee is £220.Course units:
- 01 | TCP/IP protocols - explore the purpose of network protocols, the TCP/IP stack and how this is used to communicate data over networks. You’ll also learn why the stack model is divided into layers.
- 02 | Protocols - learn how protocols including HTTP / HTTPS / FTP / IMAP / SMTP / POP work when sending data across a network.
- 03 | Protocols and addressing - deepen your knowledge of TCP/IP and how it differs to UDP. Explore how these protocols link to IP and MAC addresses.
- 04 | Internet packets and addressing - explore how data is split into packets and sent across the internet using addresses.
- 05 | Threats to a network - learn about common network attacks and their impact upon individuals and businesses.
- 06 | Threats and dealing with them - explore in greater depth the threats posed to a network and ways of teaching in the classroom.
- 07 | Threat prevention - learn about the common prevention methods which can be used to prevent against network threats.
Scheduled live, interactive online sessions led by an experienced practitioner.
Flexible facilitator-supported, participant-led tasks, involving deep exploration of the subject content.Do you prefer to learn in a classroom? If so, take a look at:
This course is approximately six hours in duration, split across several days.